Sorrento orignally named “Queenstown Lodge” was constructed in 1900 c. and is one of the original houses located on Dalkey Head. In 1960 c., the house was extended to its present ”L shaped” form with a flat roof. The Client purchased the house in 2006 and appointed de Blacam and Meagher Architects to fully refurbish the house and provide an extension to accommodate guest bedroom and media studio accommodation. de Blacam and Meagher were appointed Architects, and on the review of the clients requirements they proposed to extend the house up rather than out, adding a third storey to the house. Without extending the footprint of the building the landscaped gardens and Victorian glass house to the rear would be retained.
A Victorian Mansard roof was the ideal solution as it is a style of hip roof characterised by the two slopes on each of the four sides with the lower slope being much steeper almost vertical wall, while the upper slope not visible from the ground is pitched the minimum needed to shed water. This form makes maximum use of the interior space of the attic and is considered a practical form for adding a storey for an existing Victorian building.
To the rear the Mansard was “cut back” to create a fully glazed sliding wall affording access to a roof terrace with views of Howth Head to the Dalkey Islands and the Kish Lighthouse beyond. To the South West a guest bedroom with en-suite shower was created. The main staircase which was extended is top lit from a large centralised roof light. The media studio is accessed from the staircase via a large sliding screen of “Birr Oak”. Internally the media studio is visually divided into two areas by a three sided freestanding fireplace. The floor is finished with wide board oak floors and the walls simply painted not to distract from the panoramic views. Externally the terrace was finished in large riven slate slabs with stainless steel handrails.